‘Government. closure order a slow death for the restaurant industry’
The order issued by the Delhi government on Monday banning eating in restaurants and only allowing deliveries is unsustainable and will lead to the slow death of a once vibrant industry, the National Restaurant Association of India (NRAI) has said. ). He urged the government to provide industry with some “oxygen” to survive the shutdown.
All restaurants and bars in the city, which have so far operated at 50% capacity and with restricted opening hours, have been ordered to close due to rising COVID-19 cases.
Kabir Suri, chairman of the NRAI, said the guidelines came at a time when restaurants were just beginning to see a respectable increase in consumption, prompting the industry to rehire staff who had lost their jobs.
“We are very concerned about the fate of 3,01,715 restaurant workers in Delhi. We don’t want them to suffer but unfortunately we don’t have adequate resources to support them for long. Over 25% of restaurants have been shut down last year and more than 24 lakh people lost their jobs nationwide.These new guidelines are going to be even more detrimental to the industry,” Mr Suri said.
He said it is disheartening to see the restaurant industry, which operates in a safe and closed environment, being asked to close while other businesses like airlines, transport and markets continue to operate. .
“We need emergency oxygen for our survival. I urge the Delhi government to either allow us to operate during normal hours with safeguards and protocols or to compensate us, our employees, suppliers and owners appropriately for the loss of business resulting of the lockdown,” Mr Suri said.